Monday 7 October 2013

Reflection  on language



I first of all think that it is very difficult to define the word language. I, personally, think that it is a form of communication using symbols and your vocal chords. I think that there is a difference between language and communication. As language is a form of communication. For example a monkey peeing on a tree to mark its territory is communication, however it is not using language as someone talking to someone on the phone would be communicating but also using language. When it comes to the problem ‘can you know something without language?’ I think that you can, because you have your eyes and you can recognize it. Also how are babies supposed to learn anything without language? Another thing I found interesting was the concept that your amount of language depends on where you are from and what your climate. For example in England it rains a lot so you have many words for rain, such as drizzle or spitting, or raining cats and dogs, however, in for example Egypt, there is probably only one word for rain. So in many ways language is a way of knowing for to know you have to communicate.

1 comment:

  1. I like the analogy with the monkey. You have good arguments and I would like to encourage you to develop them.

    ReplyDelete